Any device which help us in doing work in a convenient manner known as machine.
1. Effort: The force applied to machine to do work on the machine is known as effort. It has symbol of ‘P’
Unit: Since effort is a force so it has the same unit as force Newton.
2. Load: The weight lifted or overcome by the machine is known as load. It is represented by the symbol ‘W’.
3. Mechanical Advantage: The ration of load raised by a machine after applying some effort is known as Mechanical Advantage.
It is represented by the symbol M.A.
M.A = Load / Effort = W/P
Unit: Since it is a ration so it has not unit.
The work done on a machine by an effort is known as input.
Input = Effort x Distance though which effort is applied on the body.
5. Output: If a machine moves a load W through a distance h then useful work done by machine is called as output.
Formula: Output = Load Distance through which load moves
6. Efficiency: The ratio between the output and input on a machine is called efficiency.
Efficiency = Output / Input x 100
7. Ideal Machine: A machine that converts all the amount of input into useful output or a machine that has 100% efficiency is known as ideal.
For an ideal machine Input = Output