Q.29. What is the impact of computers on education, work places /business and work?
ANS. IMPACT OF COMPUTER ON EDUCATION
The use of computer for educational purposes has been highly beneficial for the students and teachers as well. Computer has impact on following level in education.
I. At primary level
2. At high level
3. At tertiary level
1. AT PRIMARY LEVEL
• It is mostly used as an audio-visual aid in the teachings of various subjects. The use of graphics sound animation and the ability of such software to let the children freely interact with the computer makes learning fun.
• While using these educational software children also learn the basic operations of using the computer such as use of mouse, keyboard, joystick etc.
2. AT HIGH LEVLE
Children become more and more proficient in using the computer.
3. AT TERTIARY LEVEL
• It is at a tertiary level through, that computers really come into use.
• News, assignments, tests, lecture notes etc. can be placed on the internet for students to access both at school and from home. This is extremely useful for students who live in remote areas and cannot travel to and from university or other tertiary institution every day.
• The idea of remote/ distance learning can also be applied for the promotion of education.
• With the use of computers and the Internet, children can now learn online, through web sites and video and audio conferencing.
• Computers are also very beneficial for research purpose. One can get information throughout the world sitting at home.
IMPACT OF COMPUTER ON WORKPLACES / BUSINESS.
• In many large businesses, computers have begun taking the place of humans.
• In warehouses and factories, a computer could replace humans completely.
• In those kinds of jobs, people do the same repetitive work over and over, every day of their lives. A computer could be made and put into a robot that would be programmed to do this work every day with a speed and efficiency that would be impossible to attain without them.
• A computer would not need to take lunch breaks and bathroom breaks, etc. which would result in more hours worked in an average day.
• There would be an increase in productivity. which would not have happened if it were still humans working. At the present time, computers are not putting too many people out of work. It is more that they are helping us to do our work.
• Stores use computers to keep track of their files.
• Many stores have also started using cash registers that are computers and not just the old box type registers.
• All businesses keep records on computers and many of them depend entirely on their computer systems.
NEGATIVE EFFECTS IN THE WORK PLACES
People have fear that in another twenty years, many might be completely unemployed due to the advancement of computer.
If you book a flight, you name and information are entered into a computer, which is saved in the database. It would be easy for a talented hacker to change you information and get you off a flight while confusing airline attendants.
IMPACT OF COMPUTER ON COMMUNICATION, FINANCE AND MANUFACTURING
• Computer have not only helped to forward progress in finance, communication, and manufacturing but their creation programming and maintenance has become an entirely new industry in itself.
• The computer industry has become one of the most explosive industries in terms of growth on the planet, employing millions of people to create and support them and occupying the attention of millions more, whether they will be game players, enthusiasts or hobbyists, simply by their existence. For good or ill computers have becomes a fact of life.
THE IMPACT OF COMPUTER ON WORK UP SIDE
• Making the work faster
It makes work processes faster.
• Improving the efficiency
It allows for improvements in efficiency at all levels.
• Maintaining the data
It maintains massive amounts of data.
• Reducing costs
It reduces work force costs through telecommunicating.
• Increasing productivity
It increases productivity through flexible scheduling.
• Creating new jobs
Computers create new jobs
THE DOWN SIDE
Automation replaces and de-skills the workers.
Constant and intrusive employee,
Personal data is used for purpose other than intended.
• Less earning
Work at home often lowers salaries and benefits.
• Reducing the jobs
Computers replace more job than they create.