Q7. WHAT DO YOU KNOW ABOUT HYDRO ELECTRICITY? EXPLAIN AND HIGHLIGHT ITS IMPORTANCE ALSO.
WHY HYDRO ELECTRICITY IS MORE IMPORTANT THAN OTHER SOURCES OF ELECTRICITY? ELUCIDATE.
Hydro-electric or Water Power’ is produced by water dropping it from height on the wheels called Hydraulic Turbines. Water power is a natural source through which cheaper energy can be obtained. Water energy can be obtained from any place where abundant water supply is available with a constant and establish flow.
The demand for hydro electricity is being increased constantly because its use is increasing due to industrial and technological development. Many measures are required for increasing the production of water power like water reservoirs, dams, construction of link canals and making the giant turbines. Since, huge amount of capital is required for increasing hydro electricity therefore, taking measures for hydro electricity, become expensive where coal and oil is cheaper.
Historically, using water as a source of energy is proved in Greece and Rome where stone wheels were used generating by water flow for grinding maize. During medieval period, for obtaining more electricity, wooden light wheels were used for moving them by water. The modem electric producing wheels (turbines) were invented by a British civil engineer John Smeaton who used cast-iron form making turbines but these out dated methods could produce a limited amount of electricity.
The following modern important inventions have converted water into a global and big power:
a. Hydro Turbine which is used for using the greater volume of water for producing electricity.
b. Dynamo which converts the fast moving turbine into electric current.
c. Portland Cement due to which construction of huge dams on the rivers became possible which can arrest enormous amount of water like rivers Congo and Nile.
ADVANTAGES OF HYDRO ELECTRICITY:
The importance of hydro electricity can be summarized in one sentence that the existence of modern world can’t even be thought over without electricity’. Although electricity is the invention of science but electricity has also opened the new horizons for scientific development. Electricity, although, is obtained from various sources but water is the most cheap, vast and important source amongst all. The electricity produced by this source is known as ‘hydro electricity. There are two conditions for hydel power; abundant supply and constant flow of water. Water is dropped from enormous height on the fast moving turbines due to which electric current is produced.
The following are the advantages of hydro electricity:
1. Nature, as compared to coal, gas and petrol, has produced water in large quantity. This is the reason that water is cheaper source as compared to other sources.
2. Heavy machines are the guarantee of industrial, economic and political development of a country and these machines can be generated by electricity only.
3. Other sources of energy, sooner or latter, would be exhausted but so long water is there, would be used for energy purposes.
4. Electricity is used for smelting most solid and hard metals without which these metals cant he converted into machines, tools and implements.
5. Electricity makes the means of transport and communication cheaper but swifter also.