Q.25. How can you classify the computers according to the type of data handled?
ANS. CLASSIFICATION ACCORDING TO TYPE OF DATA HANDLED
On the basis of hardware structure and the way through which physical quantities are represented computers are classified into three types.
1. Analog Computer
2. Digital Computer
3. Hybrid Computer
1 .ANALOG COMPUTERS
The term Analog is taken from the word analogous which means similar. They are measuring device used to measure continuously variable quantities.
These computers use analog methods to process data. These computers operate on numbers represented by directly measurable quantities which vary continuously, such as temperature, pressure, distance, velocity etc.
• Analog Computers are commonly used for scientific and engineering problems, particularly in chemical industries, electric power plants, and petroleum refineries.
• Analog processor is used in petrol pump. Thermometer, speedometer, blood pressure measuring apparatus, voltmeter and ammeter are the examples of analog computers.
• They are used in scientific applications such as robotics where an experimental design can be tested in real time.
2. DIGITAL COMPUTER
Digital computers are those which specialize in counting. Digital computers handle the values like numbers, letters or other symbols, into binary digits(0 or I). In digital computers all the operations are done at extremely fast rate . Digital computer has a memory and can solve the problems by counting.
• All commonly used computers are digital computers.
3. HYBRID COMPUTER
Hybrid computers are combination of both analog and digital computers systems. These computers are equipped with special conversion devices. They have speed of analog computer, while accuracy of digital computers. A hybrid computer uses input or output either analog or digital data.
1. These computers are used in working out special types of problems in science and various areas of engineering. Such as space vehicle simulations and training of astronauts.
2. Another use of these computers is in robots.
3. Now a days petrol pumps are using hybrid computer, because quantity of fuel delivered and the cost of that fuel is represented in digits while pumping motor is an analog computer
4. In hospitals, patient’s temperature, heart beat and blood pressure are measured by analog component of the computer, and then these measurements are converted into digits by digital component of a computer.