Q13. WHAT ARE THE COLLECTIVE AND PROMINENT CHARACTERISTICS OF POPULATION OF PAKISTAN? EXPLAIN.
GIVE THE CHARACTERISTICS OF POPULATION OF PAKISTAN.
The population of a country can be glanced at with two angles; first according to quantity arid second according to quality. Quantitative aspect of population helps in understanding the present and future needs of the country while qualitative aspect helps in analyzing the efficiency of the country. Both these properties of population explained as under:
a. QUANTITATIVE ASPECT:
The characteristics of population of Pakistan, according to quantitative aspect, as follows:
1. The Growth rate of population of Pakistan, although, has decreased from 3.6 per cent to 1.9 per cent per year but this rate of growth is also a high rate. This can be assessed by the fact that the total population of Pakistan in 1983 was 90.30 million which increased to 148.72 million in 2004. This is the reason that Pakistan is the 7th. largest country of the world in population.
2. Death rate of rural areas is higher than that of urban areas because medical facilities in the rural areas are almost nil. The death rate is higher in the age group of zero to 9 years.
3. Birth rate is also higher in the rural areas as compared to urban areas due to illiteracy of the masses.
4. Growth rate of population in Pakistan is 1.90 per cent which is also a high rate.
5. Rural population has the tendency to shift to the urban areas therefore; cities are being expanded fast while villages are being shrinked.
6. The age group of 1 to 15 year is dominant in the total population of Pakistan.
7. Resources are limited white population is more due to which resources are under heavy pressure of population.
8. Literacy rate of population is increasing.
9. Proportion of male population is decreasing while that of female population is increasing.
b. QUALITATIVE CHARACTERISTICS:
Following are the qualitative characteristics of population of Pakistan:
1. As a result of fast population growth, per capita income of Pakistan is declining due to which living standard of a common Pakistani is being deteriorating.
2. The major part of the total population of Pakistan is living below poverty line.
3. Participation of female population is very low (11 %) in the total working population.
4. .4eans of communication are available to 15 people per thousand.
5. There is acute shortage of technical persons and researchers. One 2 persons are experts or scholars or scientists out of 1000 population.
6. Heal and sanitation facilities are not available satisfactorily due to rapid growth of population.
7. 30 per cent of population bears the economic burden of 70 per cent.
8. The proportion of higher education is highly discouraging because only 3 per cent of the students go to the universities.