Q.18. What are the characteristics of the fourth generation of computer?
ANS. FOURTH GENERATION OF COMPUTER (1971-PRESENT)
1. The ‘Micro Processors’ containing thousands of integrated circuits built on a single silicon chip were developed.
2. They were so small in size, could now fit in the palm of the hand. They are called as ‘LAPTOP’ computers.
3. As these small computers became more powerful, they could be linked together to form networks, which eventually led to the development of the Internet.
4. They were ten times faster than third generation computers. They could perform million of calculations per second.
5. The Graphical User Interfaces (GUls),the mouse and handheld devices like scanner and OCR were developed in this generation.
5. Floppy disks of sizes 8 and 5.25 inches were use as storage devices.
6. The main memory was then increased as EPROM and SRAM.
7. Much easier high level languages were introduced for programming.
Examples Of Fourth Generation Computers
• In 1971 INTEL 4004 was developed having C.P.U and memory to input and output controls on a single chip.
• In 1981 IBM introduced its first computer for the home user.
• In 1984Apple introduced the Macintosh.
• Microprocessor began to use everyday Products of life.