Q13. HIGHLIGHT THE ADVANTAGES OF FORESTS. OR
WHAT IS THE ROLE OF FORESTS IN THE ECONOMY OF A COUNTRY? DISCUSS.
WHY IS THE FOREST SIGNIFICANT FOR A COUNTRY? EXPLAIN.
Experts of Economics are agreed that for the economic development of a country there should be the forests on 15 per cent of her total area because forests provide different kinds of raw materials on which industrial development and growth depends.
SIGNIFICANCE OF FORESTS:
Physical and economic importance of forests can be assessed by the following:
1. Wood is required for doors of buildings, boxes. whips, boats, windows, furniture and for making different other goods.
2, Pulp is made for making paper and rayon by soft wood achieved from forests.
3. Forests, in addition to making the weather pleasant, are the sources of adding beautiful colors in natural scenes.
4. In the initial stages of development of human civilization, wood used to be used as fuel and for making charcoal. Afterwards, in the beginning of industrial development, charcoal was being used as the source of energy. Wood today also is taken as the important source of domestic fuel in the rural society.
5. Different raw materials, traded, are achieved from forests like rubber, turpentine, camphor and cork etc.
6. For the cattle and forest animals, jungles provide grazing fields. Cattle and animals provide milk and leather.
7. The most prominent advantage of the forests is that they causes rain. The clouds full of water are impeded by tall trees grown in forests and so they drop their water on ground as rain.
8. Since the roots of trees keep the soil damp, the fertility of soil is preserved.