ADVANTAGES AND DISADVANTAGE WITH DIFFERENCE AMONG LINE, STAFF AND FUNCTIONAL AUTHORITY
Line Authority Advantages
1. It is simple to understand
2. Authority is clearly divided and defined.
3. Because of clarity prompt decision and actions are in place.
Line Authority Disadvantages
1. Important personnel are overburdened
2. It ignores suggestions from Staff personnel
3. The whole power is centered on a few key personnel.
Staff Authority Advantages
1. Since they are specialized in their respective fields their advice is extremely valuable.
2. Young and newly hired specialists have opportunity to learn and hone their expertise.
3. Staff undertakes the job of analyzing plans relieving the line managers of this burden.
Staff Authority Disadvantages
1. They undermine the authority of the line executive.
2. Staff creates confusion if functions are not clearly defined and understood.
3. Unnecessary centralization in feared.
Functional Authority Advantages
1. Functional personnel benefit the firm with their expertise.
2. In their presence only a competent managers required.
3. They free the executives of daily specialized functions personnel.
Functional Authority Disadvantages
1. Power concentrates on them.
2. Retationship tends to become complicated.
3. Coordnation problem arises.